Paul was recently asked by a client, to look at an internal crack to the rear of their house. He was concerned about the crack and wanted to know what had caused it and if it signified a structural problem.
Paul was happy to pop down and take a look.
He confirmed to the client that the crack was nothing to worry about, and was likely to have been caused by slight settlement in the masonry due to the opening up of the wall at ground floor level to allow for the addition of a conservatory. In most cases 90% of movement occurs in the first year and the remaining 10% of movement occurs in the next 90 years, after works have been completed.
Similar cracks can occur over time, particularly around door and window openings and at wall and ceiling joints, where the plaster shrinks as it drys out.
In both instances the cracks can be easily be filled and painted over when decorating.
Some cracks however do mean that there is significant movement in the structure of the building. If this is the case and you are unsure what to do, it is best to get a Chartered Surveyor to inspect the property. We would be able to diagnose the problem and give impartial advice on what to do next.
We are always happy to have a chat with people if they have concerns about their property!